Debris in still water. |
![]() |
The beautiful Abbott's Bridge spanning the Lark. |
![]() |
Lark-cleaning volunteers in action. |
In Roman times, the Lark was an early canal from Isleham to Prickwillow. This was probably to ship out church, hardened chalk known as Tottenhoe Stone as a building material, from Clunch Pits at Isleham. An early name for the river was the Burne but the River Larke name seems to have been established by the early 17th century. The first serious known attempt since Roman times to improve the River Lark for navigation took place in 1621. Plans were prepared by John Gason of Finchley and authorisation sought through Parliament but the endeavour failed. In 1635 a Henry Lambe obtained permission to improve navigation of the river from Mildenhall to Bury St Edmunds in recognition of the need to reduce transportation costs incurred by road. Suspicion from mill owners, led by landowners, Sir Roger North and Thomas Steward, claiming that the
![]() |
18th century Horstead Mill, Norfolk. Mill owners were powerful people! |
In 1693 Henry Ashley, proprietor of the Great Ouse Navigation, turned his attention to the River Lark which had become silted up and was no longer suitable for barge traffic. He had plans to canalise the Lark and run barges up to Bury St Edmunds, thus restoring ancient trade links to Kings Lynn. Once 'his' canal was in place, between 1716 and 1855 the River Lark was a busy waterway linking Bury St Edmunds with Ely, Cambridge and Kings Lynn. There were certain weaknesses in the system however often involving uncooperative local landowners and their commercial interests, but even slow water transport was more efficient than roads at the time, although these shortcomings gradually reduced as road transport improved.
Daniel Defoe, in 1774, described the river at Bury as:
“a very small river, or rather a very small branch of a small river ….. which runs from Milden Hall on the edge of the fens…….They have made this river navigable to the said Milden Hall from which there is a navigable dyke which goes into the river Ouse and so to Lynn, so that all their [Bury’s] coal, wine, iron, lead and other goods are brought by water from Lynn, or from London by way of Lynn, to the ease of the tradesmen.”
![]() |
First train into Bury, 1845 |
![]() |
Barge on the River Lark, 1910. |
![]() |
The River Linnet. Virtually no history of the Linnet was found, it, presumably, being smaller and less important than the Lark with which it unites in the Abbey Gardens. But, here it is, in its understated, tranquil beauty. |
![]() |
Baptisms in the River Lark in May 1917. There was a minor fashion for river baptism in the twentieth century until 1970. |