Saturday, March 19, 2022

Settling in.

  

An explanation of my library, if I had one.
The title suggests a rather more comfortable, leisurely process than the sometimes tense, stressful, anxious, pressured affair that life this year has presented. Certainly, things, i.e. everyday life, is improving but frankly, I have never been this tired and with fatigue, lapses in memory occur more easily. And do! 

Certainly, I see now why moving house is up there, high, in the Most Stressful Events in Life lists. I have been so lucky with a huge amount of help from family and now realise:

a) I could not have done it alone, and

b) if I had left The Move for one or two more years, I could not have been involved at all.

But, to be fair to myself, I had shed many possessions in Bruges and even more since arrival in Bury, including too many books; always a hard task. But I was delighted to discover two branches of Oxfam here, including one with the inspiring title of Oxfam Books and Music. SO three effortful trips with the bag-on-wheels full of heavy volumes leaving perhaps half the original pile with no home. I have winnowed so thoroughly that the remainder WILL remain, even homeless, on the floor. I read an interesting long quote recently from The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis and the following extract sheds a little light on my delight in books:

You may have noticed that the books you really love are bound together by a secret thread. You know very well what is the common quality that makes you love them, though you cannot put it into words; but most of your friends do not see it at all, and often wonder why, liking this, you should also like that.”

. and sheds light on why I had difficulty in trying to give away books to friends and family. Often with only sparse success in the face of such proffered largesse! AND it illustrates my extreme reluctance to say Goodbye to certain publications. There is almost an umbilical chord between me and certain books.

I do feel the immediate streets around my central building in the mediaeval grid, are becoming familiar and I am learning street names through use. I am familiarising myself with necessary routines and resting places for utensils etc in-house, [though cries of, "Where the hell do I keep the scissors?" still rend the air!] I try not to mourn the loss of the heavy, heavy ironing board and ironing system; so easy and effective to use but so very difficult to move or carry. In addition to which, the in-house no storage’ situation negates the possibility of keeping either! Grab rails were put in place yesterday to enable safe crossing of the difficult threshold to both terraces, the kitchen one having been a good example of ‘a broken hip waiting to happen!’ New friend, retired builder Rob, grab-hold-installer-in-chief, has also built a tasteful-looking, moveable, safe step for the exit to the kitchen terrace. I can dimly recall my former dexterity and alacrity, unnoticed by me at the time, but remembered fondly now! I also remember wryly the Bette Davis remark about old age not being for cissies, and ponder approvingly on the charm of her observation.

Street scene, Bury St Edmunds

I have been living here since February 9th and now have an impressive [to me] list of helpful compatriots including one odd job man; electrician; plumber; decorator; beer shop owner Who Delivers, picture framer and, from today, cleaner. My cup decidedly runneth over etc. There is a deal of support needed over and above the physical moves out, and in of houses, and finding good crafts people to help shape the accommodation into ‘homeis vital to maintaining the psychological balance and momentum of the individual person centrally involved.

Self-explanatory.
Think I am now on Level Two of what the Dutch call ‘translocatie’; Moving from one dwelling to the next. That is, I am beginning to think of activities beyond winnowing and arranging what is left as tastefully as possible! I have joined U3A and under that umbrella is the Theatre Group of which I am now a member. Have attempted to join Mah Jong as a player [albeit of fairly low skill] and been rejected with the most unexpected answer ever. "The students are learning but it is not a group for playing  Mah Jong." The publicity does say, ‘New members welcome.’ Dumbfounded! I am still burrowing away on that one though with little to encourage me! But, I have joined the list to receive an organic salad box each week and hope not to be submerged in lettuce. I am also about to start the search for a new Lieven, a personal trainer.

This morning, [March 17th] to Waitrose for the third time and now becoming relatively relaxed with the electronic wand to record purchases and put goods straight into my bag thus dispensing with a trolley. I always avoided that before but now see its advantages. I had forgotten how singularly wonderful Waitrose is; there is nothing of such rare appeal in any supermarket in Europe that I have seen, for variety and what seems, world-wide sourcing. Also the staff are not only lovely but also well trained. I don’t enjoy food shopping but I almost like going to Waitrose! Now have a friendly face on reception too; Lorna. Great back-up when I get slightly muddled or mystified which, surprisingly, does happen occasionally!!


Large stylish grab rail on  kitchen terrace door.
HOW is it possible that I need this already,
so early in my life?!













No comments:

Post a Comment

The Future is Green

  Port Talbot steelworks Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station   A notable fact caught my attention this week; actually, TWO notable facts! The tw...